As mentioned in the intro to this series (Why Christians With Piercings Are Not Sinful – (Usually)), I have piercings in my face. This means I’ve heard many, many objections to them firsthand.
So let’s start with the most common objections. “Why would we start here?” you may wonder, and I have my reasons. It’s important that you understand I’m not lying when I say I’ve seriously heard them all. I don’t want to be explaining the good thinking on this topic only to have you thinking, “Yea, but…”, the whole time.
Also, this way, when we get to sorting through how to think well on this controversial issue, we can refer back to these common objections and deal with them specifically. Also, I want you to note, I’m not making any of these up, these are all ones that I’ve heard directly.
So let’s list em out. Here are the top ten I can recall:
- Objection 1: Piercings are sin. The Bible clearly says that we should not pierce our bodies or make marks on them.
- Objection 2: Well Jesus wouldn’t have had piercings. The goal is to be like Jesus isn’t it?!
- Objection 3: Well even if it’s not sin, we’re not supposed to be like the world, and your piercings are like the world.
- Objection 4: It’s just a small compromise that leads to other things later (kinda like a gateway drug). Look at how many things are acceptable in our culture now but are clearly sinful.
- Objection 5: It influences kids in a bad way. You’ll have them wanting to be like you.
- Objection 6: Well in this area, they’re not very accepted so you shouldn’t wear them if you want people to respect you.
- Objection 7: Well that’s fine out there during the week, but I think they have no place in God’s house.
- Objection 8: Well I understand that you’re a good person, and I know your heart, but they don’t! It makes you look bad.
- Objection 9: You’re a leader! You have to be above reproach and look better than the others you’re trying to lead if you want them to mature at all.
- Objection 10: Sure it may give you great opportunities to talk to others about Jesus, I’m sure you have, but if it’s sin, it’s sin!
Now, don’t fear; I’m not going to address all of these specifically. In fact, I likely won’t refute hardly any of them specifically. What I will aim to do in the next few posts is lay out some general correct thinking and theology that, I believe you will find covers the lot of em.
You’ll see in the next few posts that most of these end up being ill founded and sometimes straight up silly.
So stay tuned. In the next post we begin with, So Can We Have Piercings As Christians, and we’ll build this quickly and simply from the ground up.
♫ First comes law, then come Jesus, then comes followers looking all sorts of crazy. ♫ …I’m excited for this.
Q: Was there a common one I missed? Have you heard any crazy ones? Have any valid ones? What are your immediate thoughts so far?