No kinda-sorta about it, I’m pretty excited for this coming year. I was going to write about the importance of setting goals, but really, who doesn’t know that already? I may still do that next week in some fashion, but for now I just thought I’d model it myself. Ya know, lay out some of my plans and goals for this year.
Besides it being good for myself to do this, I also justify this by calling it an update for any interested Missions Partners. Ok, I’ve also added some seriously valuable thinking at the end that I promise to be worth a quick read. It’s not all about me. So here we go…
MY GOALS FOR 2013
These are not in any particular order… not yet at least.
- Be faithful to my desired and set prototype schedule.
- Work less. Sleep more. The exactness of this is yet to be determined…
- Be completely debt free!
- Continue to improve this blog in both looks, functionality, and primarily with content. Much of that will happen simply because of my other goals.
- Begin a podcast on relationships – so looking forward to this.
- Write an eBook… I don’t want to put out details yet, but this could possibly be my favorite project I have planned.
- A: Refine my mentoring resource for life planning, organizing, and stewardship. B: Continue to pray for guidance on app development for computer mobile devices. C: Get even more guys using the resource!
- A: Develop and establish CrossPoint WaKeeney, the venue church I’m interim pastoring, in a “cultural” and foundational sense as a church. B: Grow the Sunday morning large group time to two services. C: Continue to pray for and seek out leaders and Grow Groups.
- A: Create the DENY website. B: Refine DENY – the discipleship training that I continue to develop each year – by taking much of the content online and interactive while producing a slim guide book for offline use.
- Create a manly blog for many manly things to happen on including many other men I know to write and create content for it. I actually know all the details for this, including the name, but I just want to hold them in to reserve all the excitement for the big launch… whenever that happens, but hopefully by the second quarter of the year! This one goal has many subgoals that must happen first.
- Help my lovely lady wife start her lady blog for women’s discipleship. I’m excited she’s wanting to try this out! I think she’ll do great at it if she gives it a whirl.
- If time is available… Create my “just-for-fun blog of shoe stories. This will only happen if I get the time.
- A: Possibly move to Lawrence to help plant a church. B: Begin taking Biblical language classes at Midwestern Theological. C: Sadly get a new job of some sort? Yikes! – This all looks likely unless God closes some doors.
- Begin writing the full book that the aforementioned e-book is only a precursor of.
- Preach more at church, maybe even other churches, and schedule a few more speaking engagements with different groups.
- Read 2 books a month. This means reading less blog posts than the current equivalent of about 3 books per month.
- Comment, interact, and network with more blogs that I enjoy in a more meaningful way.
- Guest post more on other’s blogs. The exactness of this is yet to be determined.
- Attend a conference or two. Starting with C3 in Dallas in February!
- Go to Washington to examine, question, study, and learn from a thriving collegiate church plant there.
- Maybe go to Ohio for some of the same as above. Still uncertain?
- A: Stay faithful to God in all things. B: Continue to add to and/or modify this list as God directs my paths and enables me to complete these.
UNLIMITED, WITH FAITHFUL CERTAINTY AND FOCUSED CLARITY
This may seem like an awful lot, or maybe even awful lofty, but I believe it’s all completely feasible for myself. Yep, even in one year!
As I reflect on this last year I realize that so much happens so fast, and I have a tendency to take it for granted. I have been blessed beyond words, but I also wonder how much more could be done if only less time and energy were wasted on lesser things or even great things that I’m simply not called to do. It’s a question we should all ask ourselves.
We have a tendency to limit ourselves whether that be simply by too much Facebook time or by too little self-confidence or motivation or any number of countless reasons. I refuse to be found guilty of such. I also don’t want to chase things I shouldn’t do though.
I know the value of focused action, and I’m a huge fan of it, but I do not wish to form my identity around simply “what I do” and especially not by one line of work alone. We are image bearers of God! Made with more power and potential than we can imagine if we’d just apply ourselves to figuring that out! It’s not easy though. We can get quite twisted and confused.
The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out. Prov 20:5
I’m continually praying for God to provide me with more than I can ever keep up with so that I never have an excuse to be distracted with the lesser things of this world. This was my main prayer for 2012 and will still be huge for me in 2013. This is important for me for many reasons, but I would invite you to pray this as well. He answers it with a big, “okee dokee!” if your heart is right in it! For example, nearly everything on the above list came from the happenings of 2012.
If we are praying this though, we must also pray for wisdom and understanding. So working with faithful certainty and focused clarity will be an equally huge prayer this year as well. I ask that you pray this for me, as well as invite you to join in praying this for yourself!
LET THE YEAR BEGIN! SOLI DEO GLORIA!